Saturday, November 21, 2009

Death becomes us...

I went to an estate sale today- for those of you who need an explanation an estate sale happens typically when someone dies. A group of people come in and put a price on every item in the house... even the half used toothpaste goes for $.25. The group then opens up the house for people to walk through and take what they will... each day marking the prices down a little bit more. I love estate sales. 1) because I can get a great deal on things and 2) I have a chance to see how someone lived. I always imagine who lived there... what their lives were like... For example... at this house I could tell that he went first... and that she loved him enough to not really let go. There was one man's work coat in the hall closet surrounded by all of hers. His tools were still easily accessible in the garage, but dusty. None of his clothes were hanging in her closet and the whole place had a very woman vibe. She also collected pitchers. There were dozens... clear... painted... big... little... all over the kitchen and dining room. She was a hippy when she was younger. Her colorful old bell bottoms and peasant shirts were tucked away in a back closet... and she loved old movies.

But let's get back to the reason I really went there- to score some good deals of course... :-) and I found something I really wanted... a half coffee maker half espresso machine with a wand you can control- HALF OFF!! I was so excited I grabbed it before anyone else could. One problem... it was still plugged in. I had to trace the cord back to the outlet and unplug it. As I was carefully carting back to my car I noticed how the lid of the coffee pot was stained... and I could imagine her going in to the kitchen everyday and starting the pot. Habits... just like brushing your teeth and putting on your makeup.

It hit me- this coffee maker was still ready for her to come in and push the button... pour in some water and put the coffee in the filter... it was still plugged in- just like she had never left. Now let me be clear- I did watch The Brave Little Toaster, but I am under no illusions that inanimate objects can feel anything. However, as I thought about it though it struck me how reminiscent this is of our lives before Christ. The Bible says that when we become Christ-followers we are new creations, the old creature is dead. That doesn't mean that old life isn't there... just like the coffee pot is plugged in and ready to be used again... waiting for it's owners to fall back into old habits. We need to die to that old life like the woman died to her coffee pot. To the point that we are incapable of slipping back into it again.... easier said than done I'm aware... dying to our old lives is a choice whereas physical death overtakes us in it's time.... that's what makes it so important- it's a choice. God's waiting to meet you at the coffee shop and he's paying... so who needs that old coffee pot anyway? Die to your old life and be prepared for a new and amazing one.... God's waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment